It’s my birthday! I am now 30. In some ways I feel old, in others, I know there is still a lot I can do while I am on this earth.
Here are 30 things I have learned in my 30 years on earth:
- Your Mom loves you, spend more time with her
- The “cool” kids in school aren’t really that cool after all
- The relationships you invest in are the ones you keep
- Taking a road trip with friends will be a memory that will last forever
- Sleep. But not too much, you never remember the times you were sleeping
- Don’t run inside just because it’s raining. Its ok to get wet sometimes
- If you love her, put a ring on it!
- Meet her parents and ask her Dad for her hand. It might be old school, but that’s ok
- Take time to know who you are and what you believe before you get go to post-secondary school or get married
- Get a degree only if you will use it. Think of the ROI
- Debt is a heavy weight that will slow you down
- Cliff Jump (just make sure the water is deep enough!)
- Money comes from work, not from existing
- Getting on a plane and crossing an ocean will put your life into perspective
- Read good books. Even teens shouldn’t read most teen fiction books
- Having kids will make you appreciate your parents more
- Take a few pictures, but not too many. Live your memories in real life
- Don’t do drugs
- If you have ever wanted to play guitar, the drums, or write a blog…do it now, don’t let another year pass
- Jesus is more than the reason for the Christmas season. He is the solution to the greatest need we each have
- Pick your battles and decide what hill you are willing to die on
- Today can be better than yesterday
- Be intentional and grow on purpose
- Set personal goals every year
- Try Sushi, you might like it
- There are 31 chapters in the book of Proverbs, read one each day
- You’re not too young
- Culture changes, principals don’t
- What you see on TV is fake, even the “reality” stuff
- Party with those that show up to the party
I have travelled across a few oceans and had my passport filled with stamps. I have enjoyed great friendship and had some great adventures. I married the woman that stole my heart and have 2 children that help me experience life in a new way daily.
I am blessed.
Life is an adventure and each day we get a chance to live it or let it slip away.
What is one thing you wish you knew when you were 30?